|Vicinity||16 km SSE of Doncaster|
|First Record||c. 1500|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2014-10-10. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2019-04-05.
The north Nottinghamshire village of Blyth is mentioned twice in the Gest (see Evidence below). It is first mentioned in Domesday Book (1086), where it occurs as "Blide". The village is located on the A1, the Great North Road. In the Middle Ages it was a rather more substantial town than now. It had two leper hospitals, a priory, three hermitages as well as markets and fairs. Of its former glory little now remains.
- A Gest of Robyn Hode (Child 117), sts. 27, 259.
- Gover, J.E.B.; Mawer, Allen; Stenton, F.M. The Place-Names of Nottinghamshire (English Place-Name Society, vol. XVII) (Cambridge, 1940), pp. 68-69.
- O.S. 6" Nottinghamshire V.SE (1885; surveyed 1885)
- O.S. 6" Nottinghamshire V.SE (1900; rev. 1897)
- O.S. 6" Nottinghamshire V.SE (1922; rev. 1918)
- O.S. 6" Nottinghamshire V.SE (1950; rev. 1948).