By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2013-07-14. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2017-05-06.
- Gable, John Harris, compil. A Bibliography of Robin Hood (University of Nebraska Studies in Language, Literature and Criticism, vol. 17) (Lincoln, Nebraska, 1939). With some 950 works in a total of c. 1550 editions/printings Gable's bibliography remains an essential reference for the period up to 1935. For rarer items Gable lists libraries holding copies, and in most cases he provides references to bibliographical sources. However, the bibliography is by no means exhaustive. A wealth of materials in sources that do not belong to the Robin Hood tradition proper, especially allusions, dramatic records, and primary soruces for Robin Hood place names, was left untapped. Coverage of sources in languages other than English is also extremely patchy.
- Bessinger, Jr., Jess Balsor. The Beginnings of the Robin Hood Tradition, with an Annotated Bibliographical Supplement to 1951 (Harvard University, 1952). Not seen, but known to contain extensive bibliography.
- Chandler, John H., comp. 'Robin Hood: Select Literary Bibliography', at: The Robin Hood Project: a Robbins Library Digital Project (University of Rochester). Extensive selection, grouped under 'Historical Sources Related to the Robin Hood Legend', 'Primary Sources' and 'Critical Studies'.
- Child, Francis James, ed. The English and Scottish Popular Ballads (Boston and New York; Cambridge, Massachusetts; London, [1882-1898]), vol. V, pp. 397-404: "Sources of the texts of the English and Scottish popular ballads"; see especially pp. 397, 399. Vol. V, pp. 405-10: "Index of published airs of English and Scottish Popular Ballads"; see especially p. 407.
- Dobson, R.B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976). "Select Bibliography" in two sections: I. "Principal Printed Editions of the Robin Hood Ballads" (pp. 312-15); II. "Robin Hood in Literature" (pp. 315-19); III. "A Selection of Critical Works" (pp. 319-23).
- Flügel, Ewald. 'Zur Chronologie der Englischen Balladen', Anglia, vol. XXI (1899), pp. 312-58. Virtually exhaustive chronological annotated listing of printings of Child ballads, for which see this section s.n. 'Child, Francis James'.
- Ardagh, J. 'Robin Hood Bibliography', Notes & Queries, Series 11, vol. XII (1915), pp. 170-71
- Ardagh, J. 'Robin Hood Bibliography', Notes & Queries, Series 12, vol. I (1916), p. 427
- Simeone, William E. 'More Robin Hood Bibliography', Notes & Queries, vol. CXCVI (1951), p. 4.
- Dixon-Kennedy, Mike. The Robin Hood Handbook: The Outlaw in History, Myth and Legend (Stroud, Gloucestershire, 2006), pp. 433-34.
- Marx, Christy. Conquests of the Longbow: the Legend of Robin Hood (Coarsegold, California, ©1991), pp. 24-25. Unusually for a computer game manual this includes a bibliography of both non-fiction and fiction, with the emphasis on background literature.