Jump to: navigation, search

1913 - Lawrence, D H - Sons and Lovers

Allusion
Date 1913
Author Lawrence, D.H.
Title Sons and Lovers
Mentions Robin Hood's Well [High Park Wood, Moorgreen, Nottinghamshire]
Loading map...
Robin Hood's Well, High Park Wood, Moorgreen, Nottinghamshire.

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-03-01. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-07-12.

Allusion

Carston, Waite and Co. found they had struck on a good thing, so, down the valleys of the brooks from Selby and Nuttall, new mines were sunk, until soon there were six pits working. From Nuttall, high up on the sandstone among the woods, the railway ran, past the ruined priory of the Carthusians and past Robin Hood’s Well, down to Spinney Park, then on to Minton, a large mine among corn-fields; from Minton across the farm-lands of the valley side to Bunker’s Hill, branching off there, and running north to Beggarlee [p. 10:] and Selby, that looks over at Crich and the hills of Derbyshire; six mines like black studs on the countryside, linked by a loop of fine chain, the railway.[1]

Source notes

The passage occurs early in ch. 1, "The early married life of the Morels". Robin Hood's Well is included on the map of "Eastwood and surrounding villages, c. 1900" on p. 474 of the 2006 Penguin Classics edition. P. 477 n. 9:13: the real place-names corresponding to Lawrence's "Nuttall", "Spinney Park", "Minton", "Bunker's Hill", "Beggarlee" and "Selby" are Watnall, High Park, Moor Green, Plumptre, Brinsley and Selston. P. 477 n. 9:17: The original of "Carston, Waite and Co." is the Erewash valley mining firm of Barber, Walker & Co.

IRHB comments

Three passsages in Lawrence's Lady Chatterley's Lover (1928) refer to Robin Hood's Well under the name of "John's Well". See the page on Robin Hood's Well (High Park Wood, Moorgreen). The Delphi Classics Complete Works of D. H. Lawrence Kindle edition has "farm lands" for "farm-lands".[2]

Lists

Sources

Background

Also see

Notes