1908 - Swindells, Thomas - Manchester Streets and Manchester Men (2)
|Title||Manchester Streets and Manchester Men. Fifth Series|
|Mentions||Robin Hood (Cheetham Hill, Manchester)|
The former Robin Hood, Cheetham Hill, Manchester.
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2019-03-01. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2019-03-01.
HOW THE DISTRICT WAS REPRESENTED IN THE DIRECTORY FOR 1824.In connection with some of our old directories of Manchester there was published A List of the Merchants, Manufacturers, and Tradesmen in the Market Towns and Principal Villages within twenty-four miles of Manchester. Cheetham Hill was included under the general heading of Middleton, along with Blackley, Broughton, Crumpsall, Harpurhey, Hopwood, Kersal Moor, Smedley and Tonge. It is interesting to glance through the short list of names that represent our district as it was in 1824.
In the first place it may be noted that the complete list comprises only sixteen names. In many cases the addresses appear as Cheetham Hill only. In all such it is probable that they lived on the main road. Including these there are twenty-two entries relating to the residents on the highway, exclusive of cottages. Included in the list is E.W. Pilkington, whose bow and arrow shop was a well-known landmark for many years. We also find mention made of the licensed houses which then comprise the Robin Hood, the Bird in Hand, the Griffin, and the Eagle and Child. To three of these bowling greens were attached, that of the [p. 63:] last-named being perhaps the best known.
Italics as in printed source. IRHB's brackets.
- Not included in Dobson, R.B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 315-19.
- Outside scope of Sussex, Lucy, compil. 'References to Robin Hood up to 1600', in: Knight, Stephen. Robin Hood: A Complete Study of the English Outlaw (Oxford, UK; Cambridge, Massachusetts: Blackwell, 1994), pp. 262-88.
- Swindells, T. Manchester Streets and Manchester Men. Fifth Series (Manchester, 1908), pp. 62-63
- Robin Hood (Cheetham Hill, Manchester)
- 1906 - Swindells, Thomas - Manchester Streets and Manchester Men
- 1907 - Swindells, Thomas - Manchester Streets and Manchester Men
- 1908 - Swindells, Thomas - Manchester Streets and Manchester Men (1).