1901 - Randall, J L - History of Meynell Hounds (1)

From International Robin Hood Bibliography
Allusion
Date 1901
Author Randall, James Lowndes
Title A History of Meynell Hounds and Country, 1780 to 1901
Mentions Robin Hood public house (Marchington Cliff)
Loading map...
Robin Hood (Marchington Cliff).

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2020-10-14. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2020-10-14.

Allusion

À propos of the bloodhounds, a good story is told of how they were hunting some deerstealers, and how they came to a check at some cottages by three cross roads — possibly the Robin Hood at the top of Marchington Cliff. When their attendants came up to them they found the hounds sneezing and whining, with their heads up, nor could they be induced to try for the scent. At last it was discovered that the road had been freely sprinkled with black pepper, which effectually foiled the line, so that the deerstealers escaped.[1]

Source notes

Italics as in printed source.

IRHB comments

The place-name 'Sowley Cottage' is included in the early O.S. maps (listed below) near the junction of three roads currently known as Thorney Lanes, Marchinton Cliff, and Forest Road, which strengthens Randall's identification of this neighbourhood with that situated 'at some cottages by three cross roads' according to the anecdote about the bloodhounds and the pepper. The son of the owner of the bloodhounds in question is said to have been a steward to a local nobleman 'till a few years ago' (as of 1901). The passage probably can be taken to suggest that Randall believed or knew the Robin Hood to have been in existence when the abortive puruit took place.

Lists

Sources

Background

Also see

Notes