1872 - Stockdale, James - Annales Carmoelenses
|Mentions||Robin Hood and Little John (Hampsfield)|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2019-02-15. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-01-17.
On the brow of the allotment above Haening Wood two large stones, of the mountain limestone in situ, stand out prominently on the surface. These have from time immemorial gone by the names of Robin Hood and Little John. They are so given in the six-inch [p. 475:] scale ordnance map. No reasons for these names are known, but the stones may have been local marks for the shepherds in the old times when the district was unenclosed.
IRHB's brackets. Italics as in printed source.
- Not included in Dobson, R. B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-11.
- Outside scope of Sussex, Lucy, compil. 'References to Robin Hood up to 1600', in: Knight, Stephen. Robin Hood: A Complete Study of the English Outlaw (Oxford, UK; Cambridge, Massachusetts: Blackwell, 1994), pp. 262-88.