1865 - Redfern, Francis - History of Town of Uttoxeter (2)
|Title||History of Town of Uttoxeter|
|Mentions||Maiden's Well (Uttoxeter); Maid Marian|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2020-10-18. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-01-16.
Another of these wells [in Uttoxeter] was called Marian's Well anciently, but in more modern times Maiden's Well, or Maiden's Wall Well (wall having the same meaning as well), and is situated on the ascent to the High Wood, by the road side, nearly opposite to the public-house there, but it has since been taken into the field. The waters of this well have also been famous for their virtues in healing; and the grandfather of an aged female living in Uttoxeter wished in his dying moments to have a bottle of water from it to drink, on account of its remarkable properties; so that its fame remained great until less than a hundred years back, although, perhaps, not six persons at this time, except by this notice, know any thing about it. But what is also remarkable about it is that it was believed to be haunted by the ghost of a handsome young lady, on account of which people were much afraid of going past it at night—a superstition origi- [p. 265:] nating, probably, in a former belief of the well having been inhabietd by spirits, there being superstitious beliefs of this kind in Scotland at this day.
IRHB's brackets. P. 264 n. 2 (note to 'Marian's Well'): 'Should Marian be a corruption of Mary this well would doubtless be a baptistry in early times, in connection with Uttoxeter Church, which is dedicated to St. Mary'.
P. 264 n. 3 (note to 'anciently,'): 'Lightfoot's Survey'. The latter source is a survey of the parish of Uttoxeter dating from 1658.
In the slightly expanded account in the second edition of Redfern's work – see 1886 - Redfern, Francis - History and Antiquities of Town of Uttoxeter (2) – he instead interprets the element 'Marian' as referring to Maid Marian. See discussion at page on Maiden's Well (Uttoxeter).
- Not included in Dobson, R. B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 315-19.
- Outside scope of Sussex, Lucy, compil. 'References to Robin Hood up to 1600', in: Knight, Stephen. Robin Hood: A Complete Study of the English Outlaw (Oxford, UK; Cambridge, Massachusetts: Blackwell, 1994), pp. 262-88.
- Redfern, Francis. History of the Town of Uttoxeter: with Notices of Places in its Neighbourhood (London; Uttoxeter; Derby, 1865), pp. 264-65; and see p. xi.
- Maiden's Well (Uttoxeter)
- 1865 - Redfern, Francis - History of Town of Uttoxeter (1)
- 1865 - Redfern, Francis - History of Town of Uttoxeter (3)
- 1865 - Redfern, Francis - History of Town of Uttoxeter (4)
- 1886 - Redfern, Francis - History and Antiquities of Town of Uttoxeter (2).