1826 - Proceedings of the Old Bailey (1)
|Topic||Robin Hood and Little John (Hoxton)|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-07-19. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-10-18.
[16 Feb. 1826:]
WILLIAM JUST, JUN. I am fifteen years old. My father lives at Hoxton. On the night of the 5th of February I was in my father's yard and heard something like the smash of a window, which I mentioned to my mother. My father went out, for half an hour, in the evening – my mother then said the place had been stripped - upon which I went to fetch my father - as I was going along I saw the prisoner and another man - this was about half-past eight o'clock in the evening, and only a few minutes' walk from my father's house - the prisoner walked before me and the other man over the way - as soon as the prisoner saw me he went on the other side of the road with a dark bundle; the man on the other side had a white bundle; I believe the prisoner noticed that I saw him cross over to his companion. I got before them and they looked at me very hard; I kept my eye upon them; when I got a little further towards the Whitmore's Head public-house, I saw my father and a boy coming, and I said "Father, here they are?" I saw the dark bundle pitched over the wall, where it was afterwards found - he ran away - my father laid hold of the prisoner, and gave him to a gentleman, and then ran after the other towards the Robin Hood, public-house. When my father returned back, he was about to let the prisoner go - he said he was a hard-working lad; my father looked at his shoes, which were not like a tradesman. My father said "Where do you work?" but he could not tell; he then gave him in charge. 
IRHB has silently regularized the use of spaces before punctuation marks in the quotation and corrected the HTML text at Proceedings of the Old Bailey from the PDF of the original printed edition.
- Not included in Sussex, Lucy, compil. 'References to Robin Hood up to 1600', in: Knight, Stephen. Robin Hood: A Complete Study of the English Outlaw (Oxford, UK; Cambridge, Massachusetts: Blackwell, 1994), pp. 262-88.
- 1823 - Proceedings of the Old Bailey
- 1828 - Proceedings of the Old Bailey (1)
- 1829 - Proceedings of the Old Bailey (1)
- 1830 - Proceedings of the Old Bailey (1)
- 1833 - Proceedings of the Old Bailey (1)
- 1835 - Proceedings of the Old Bailey (4)
- 1857 - Proceedings of the Old Bailey (2)
- 1883 - Proceedings of the Old Bailey
- 1891 - Proceedings of the Old Bailey (1)
- Robin Hood and Little John (Hoxton).