1817 - Pitt, William - Topographical History of Staffordshire

From International Robin Hood Bibliography
Allusion
Date 1817
Author Pitt, William
Title Topographical History of Staffordshire: including its Agriculture, Mines and Manufactures; Statistical Tables; and every Species of Information connected with the Local History of the County. With a Succinct Account of the Rise and Progress of the Staffordshire Potteries
Mentions Robin Hood's Butt (Wigginton)
Loading map...
General area southwest of Wigginton where Robin Hood's Butt may have been situated.

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2020-10-28. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2020-10-28.

Allusion

Wigginton is a hamlet in the parish of Tamworth, situated about two miles north-west of the Church. It is thus recorded in Domesday: "The King holds Wigetone, consisting of two hides. The arable land is six carucates. There are eight villans, and one servant, and one bordar, and eight burgesses in Tamworde. In all they have six carucates. Here is also a meadow, six furlongs in length and two in breadth. In the time of Edward the Confessor, it was valued at thirty shillings, but at the time of this survey £4."
 South-west of Wigginton, near a piece of land called the Low Flat, is a remarkable eminence, which is called Robin Hood's Butt.[1]

Source notes

Italics as in printed source. The entire passage recurs in a directory of Staffordshire published the following year, 1818.[2]

IRHB comments

The exact location of Robin Hood's Butt is unknown. See Robin Hood's Butt (Wigginton).

Lists

Sources

Background

Also see

Notes