1811 - Nelson, John - History of Islington
|Title||The History, Topography, and Antiquities of the Parish of St. Mary Islington, in the County of Middlesex|
|Mentions||Robin Hood and Little John (Hoxton)|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-07-28. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-08-08.
An old house yet remains fronting the fields at Hoxton, which was formerly much resorted to by the Finsbury archers. It bears for its sign the Robin Hood, which has, to the present day, written underneath, the following inscription;
"Ye archers bold, and yeomen good,
Stop, and drink with Robin Hood;
If Robin Hood is not at home,
Stop, and drink with Little John."
Italics as in source. IRHB has modernized the style of the quotation of the inn sign, each line of with begins with a double quotation mark in Nelson, who also prints these for lines in the same font size as the introductory text.
The Robin Hood and Little John (Hoxton), a well-known pub in the area, closed in 1954.
- Not included in Dobson, R.B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 315-19.
- Outside scope of Sussex, Lucy, compil. 'References to Robin Hood up to 1600', in: Knight, Stephen. Robin Hood: A Complete Study of the English Outlaw (Oxford, UK; Cambridge, Massachusetts: Blackwell, 1994), pp. 262-88.
- Nelson, John. The History, Topography, and Antiquities of the Parish of St. Mary Islington, in the County of Middlesex (London, 1811); see p. 30 n. 1.
- Lewis, Samuel, Jr. The History and Topography of the parish of Saint Mary, Islington, in the County of Middlesex (London, 1842) p. 18 n. 5, paraphrases passage and quotes verse.
- Thornbury, Walter; Walford, Edward. Old and New London: A Narrative of its History, its People, and its Places (London, Paris, and New York, ), vol. II, p. 254, paraphrases passage and quotes verse.