1791 - Court Rolls of Manor of Wakefield (3)

From International Robin Hood Bibliography
Record
Date 1791
Topic Robin Hood Near Stile Close, Robin Hood Far Stile Close, Upper Robin Hood Close, and two plots named 'Lower Robin Hood Close'
Loading map...
Approximate location of Robin Hood Street Close, which probably covered all or part of the combined area of the four Robin Hood closes listed in the record.

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2020-08-21. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2020-09-18.

Record

[1791:]

83 Stanley, admission of

JOSEPH ARMYTAGE of the Lodge, par Wakefield, esq, took from the Lord of the Manor premises lately seized into the hands of the Lord of the Manor because ARMYTAGE by his indenture of demise of 26 Oct 1790 had demised, granted and let them to farm to John Lee of Wakefield, gent, from [25 Oct 1790] for the term of 21 years without a fine, without a licence from the court, in contempt of the Lord of the Manor and contrary to the custom of the Manor. This was found by a sworn inquest at a Court Baron of Wakefield on 26 Nov 1790 and presented and on proclamation published in three Wakefield courts [see Stanley Proclamations, 17 Dec 1790, 7 and 28 Jan by custom that should any person acknowledge he holds the premises of the Lord of the Manor and pay and perform to him the rents and services then they should come in and be received. ARMYTAGE did so and was admitted as tenant to:

(i) capital mess at the Outwood Side called the Lodge with barns, stables, dovecote, granary, outbuildings, gardens, orchard, foldstead and appurts and with a nearby or adjoining close of meadow or pasture, formerly used as one close, called the Ox Close, now divided into 5 closes, called the Ox Close, Ponds Close, Calf Croft, the Paddock and Willans Close, by estimation 9 acres; (ii) 2 closes, formerly called Eddige Close and Calf Croft, which are now laid with the Ox Close and called the Park, by estimation 16 acres including the gardens and orchard of the mess, now in the occupation of Edward D'Oyley, esq, formerly of Samuel Armytage, esq, since dec, then of Mr Hardman; (iii) 3 closes of meadow or pasture called the Great Ing and Upper and Lower Walton Close, by estimation 13 acres and a like close or parcel of meadow or pasture formerly called Robin Hood Near Stile Close, now laid with Upper Walton Close and called Waterhouse Close, all now in the occupation of Ely Midgeley; (iv) a close or parcel of arable, meadow or pasture called Robin Hood Farr Stile Close, by estimation [blank], now in the occupation of William Green, late of Joseph Battye; (v) a close of meadow or pasture called Upper Robin Hood Close, by estimation [blank], now in the occupation of Joseph Sidebottom; (vi) mess near the Lodge, adjoining Brag Lane, with outbuildings, croft, appurts and closes or parcels of meadow or pasture called Laith Close formerly Robtree Royd, Square Close formerly Robin Royd, and Seel Close formerly Lower Robin Hood Close, all now in the occupation of William Blakeley otherwise Blakely, formerly of Sarah Wilson, widow, and William, her son; (vii) 4 closes of meadow or pasture called Savile [p. 52:] Close formerly Pasture Close otherwise Great Pasture, Boardman Close and Near and Far Beckett Close, by estimation [blank], now in the occupation of John Gowland, formerly of Sarah and William Wilson; (viii) a like close called the Long Tongue, by estimation 2 acres, Kelshaw Close formerly Green Close, by estimation [blank], Lower Ing, now laid with the Bottom of Ox Close, by estimation [blank], all now in the occupation of Robert Sidebottom and, except for the Long Tongue, formerly of Sarah and William Wilson; (ix) a close of meadow or pasture called the Little Field or Middle Field, by estimation 3 acres, now in the occupation of James Ledger, formerly of Richard Boys, then of John Gowland; the several closes above all lying together or adjoining each other; (x) a parcel of land called Buttler Car, by estimation 1 acre, in or near Ouchthorpe in Stanley, now in the occupation of Ely Midgeley, formerly of John Bramham; (xi) mess called Cutt Yard House with an adjoining close or parcel of land now used as a garden or orchard, by estimation 1 rood, near a place called Snow Hill now in the occupation of John Roberts, formerly of Gervase Roberts, then of Joseph Powell; (xii) a close or parcel of arable, meadow or pasture called Lower Robin Hood Close formerly in 2 closes called the Flagg Closes lately called Cow Close, by estimation 8 acres, now in the occupation of William Blakeley, formerly of Sarah and John Wilson, adjoining the 3 last mentioned closes of William Blakeley; (xiii) a like close called Cobler Close formerly Square Close, by estimation 4 acres, lying between Boardman Close and Savile Close, now in the occupation of John Gowland, formerly of Sarah and John Wilson; (xiv) a like close or parcel of land called the Three Nooked Close, by estimation 4 acres, adjoining Boardman Close, Far and Near Beckett Close and Little Field, now in the occupation of James Ledger, formerly of Gervase Roberts, then of John Gowland; (xv) all other mess, cottages, lands, hereditaments, premises and appurts in the Manor of Joseph Armytage. Fine: £2 5s Od compounded, £50 uncompounded.
Rent: [blank] part compounded.

Note: the lease and warrant were enrolled with the surrender.

Annex: warrant [last five pages] to seize, 16 Dec 1790, [sig] Robert Lumb with a note that the precept was executed, [sig] John Senior, Deputy Grave of Stanley, George Goodyear, Joseph Carver, Abraham Bedford and Robert Pearson, copyholders.[1]


Source notes

Manor of Wakefield court rolls; Wakefield Court Baron, before Samuel Tooker, 18 Feb 1791. Bold/italic type, brackets (except change of page) and indentation as in printed source.[2] This refers to three previous proclamations: 1790 - Court Rolls of Manor of Wakefield (2), 1791 - Court Rolls of Manor of Wakefield (1) and 1791 - Court Rolls of Manor of Wakefield (2).

IRHB comments

The long second paragraph is virtually identical with the text of the three proclamations. The only differences worth noting being 'Eddige'/'Eddish' in the second group of plots (ii) and the omission in the present text of 'esq, of the Lodge' in the 15th group of plots (xv). Since all four printed texts are calendar summaries of the original records, it is uncertain if these differences actually exist among the MS entries. The 'Lodge' in question was the long gone Outwood Hall, then known as Woodside Lodge, or the Lodge tout court.

Lists

Sources

Background

Also see

Notes