1791 - Court Rolls of Manor of Wakefield (1)

From International Robin Hood Bibliography
Record
Date 1791
Topic Robin Hood Near Stile Close, Robin Hood Far Stile Close, Upper Robin Hood Close, and two plots named 'Lower Robin Hood Close'
Loading map...
Approximate location of Robin Hood Street Close, which probably covered all or part of the combined area of the four Robin Hood closes listed in the record.

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2020-08-20. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2020-09-18.

Record

[1791:]

Stanley, Second Proclamation [verbation repetition of 1790 - Court Rolls of Manor of Wakefield (2)]

Seized by the Deputy Grave:

(i) capital mess at the Outwood Side called the Lodge with barns, stables, dovecote, granary, outbuildings, gardens, orchard, foldstead and appurts and with a nearby or adjoining close of meadow or pasture, formerly used as one close called the Ox Close, now divided into 5 closes called the Ox Close, Ponds Close, Calf Croft, the Paddock and Willans Close, by estimation 9 acres; (ii) 2 closes, formerly called Eddish Close and Calf Croft, which are now laid with the Ox Close and called the Park, by estimation 16 acres including the gardens and orchard of the mess, now in the occupation of Edward D'Oyley, esq, formerly of Samuel Armytage, esq, since dec, then of Mr Hardman; (iii) 3 closes of meadow or pasture called the Great Ing and Upper and Lower Walton Close, by estimation 13 acres, and a like close or parcel of meadow or pasture formerly called Robin Hood Near Stile Close, now laid with Upper Walton Close and called Waterhouse Close, all now in the occupation of Ely Midgeley; (iv) a close or parcel of arable, meadow or pasture called Robin Hood Farr Stile Close, by estimation [blank], now in the occupation of William Green, late of Joseph Battye; (v) a close of meadow or pasture called Upper Robin Hood Close, by estimation [blank], now in the occupation of Joseph Sidebottom; (vi) mess near the Lodge, adjoining Brag Lane, with outbuildings, croft, appurts and closes or parcels of meadow or pasture called Laith Close formerly Robtree Royd, Square Close formerly Robin Royd, and Seel Close formerly Lower Robin Hood Close, all now in the occupation of William Blakeley otherwise Blakely, formerly of Sarah Wilson, widow, and William, her son; (vii) 4 closes of meadow or pasture called Savile Close formerly Pasture Close or Great Pasture, Boardman Close and Near and Far Beckett Close, by estimation [blank], now in the occupation of John Gowland, formerly of Sarah and William Wilson; (viii) a like close called the Long Tongue, by estimation 2 acres, Kelshaw Close formerly Green Close, by estimation [blank], Lower Ing, now laid with the Bottom of Ox Close, by estimation [blank], all being now in the occupation of Robert Sidebottom and, except for the Long Tongue, formerly of Sarah and William Wilson; (ix) a close of meadow or pasture called the Little Field or Middle Field, by estimation 3 acres, now in the occupation of James Ledger, formerly of Richard Boys, then of John Gowland. The several closes above all lie together or adjoining each other; (x) a parcel of land called Butler Car, by [p. 32:] estimation 1 acre, in or near Ouchthorpe in Stanley, now in the occupation of Ely Midgeley, formerly of John Bramham; (xi) mess called Cutt Yard House with an adjoining close or parcel of land now used as a garden or orchard, by estimation 1 rood, near a place called Snow Hill now in the occupation of John Roberts, formerly of Gervase Roberts, then of Joseph Powell; (xii) a close or parcel of arable, meadow or pasture called Lower Robin Hood Close, formerly in 2 closes called the Flagg Closes lately called Cow Close, by estimation 8 acres, now in the occupation of William Blakeley, formerly of Sarah and John Wilson, adjoining the 3 last mentioned closes of William Blakely; (xiii) a like close called Cobler Close formerly Square Close by estimation 4 acres, lying between Boardman Close and Savile Close, now in the occupation of John Gowland, formerly of Sarah and John Wilson; (xiv) a like close or parcel of land called the Three Nooked Close, by estimation 4 acres, adjoining Boardman Close, Far and Near Beckett Close and Little Field, now in the occupation of James Ledger, formerly of Gervase Roberts, then of John Gowland; (xv) all other mess, cottages, lands, hereditaments, premises and appurts in the Manor of Joseph Armytage, esq, of the Lodge. Rent: [blank]. All compounded.[1]

Source notes

Manor of Wakefield court rolls; Wakefield Court Baron, before Samuel Tooker, 7 Jan 1791. Bold/italic type and brackets (except change of page and note of verbatim repetition) as in printed source.[2] This is the first repetition of a proclamation originally made on 17 Dec 1790. See 1790 - Court Rolls of Manor of Wakefield (2). The printed source prints the proclamation only once, providing a cross-reference in place of the first repetition.[3] For the second repetition, see 1791 - Court Rolls of Manor of Wakefield (2).

Lists

Sources

Also see

Notes