Jump to: navigation, search

1720 - Strype, John - Survey of London and Westminster (02)

Allusion
Date 1720
Author Strype, John
Title A Survey of the Cities of London and Westminster
Mentions Robin Hood Court, Bow Lane
Loading map...
The site of Robin Hood Court, Bow Lane.

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-06-25. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-07-28.

Allusion

Bow lane begins at Trinity lane, and falls into Cheapside, by St. Mary le Bow Church. The part of this Lane, in this Ward, begins about fifty Foot from Cheapside, on both sides the way; and sixty Foot beyond Basing lane: And then on the West side, only to Trinity lane. This was antiently called Cordwainers street, being very well inhabited and built. In this Lane are these Courts and Places of Name; viz. Half moon Court, by some called Lugg Yard: a Place something open, but ordinary. It is likewise, by some, called Whalebone Court, from one that there boileth Whalebones. Taylor's Court, a pretty handsome open Place. Robin Hood Court, indifferent long, and well built. New Court, a very handsome genteel Place, with a Door next the Street, to shut up at Nights. St. Mary Aldermary Church, the West End seated in this Lane. Goose Alley, but ordinary; at the upper end of which is Twelve Bell Court, which is but small and narrow. It hath a Passage through Compter's Alley into Bow Church Yard, both Places of small account. George Alley, or Yard, but narrow, hath a Passage into New Queenstreet, through Weld Court. Rose Court, but mean and ordinary. St. Mary le Bow Church, the Front seated in Cheapside, but the back part in Bow lane.[1]

Source notes

Marginal notes: "Bow Lane. | Halfmoon Court. | Taylor's Court. | Robin Hood Court. | New Court. | Aldermary Church. | Goose Alley. | Twelve Bell Court. | Compter's Alley. | George Alley. | Rose Court. | St. Mary le Bow Church." IRHB's "|" indicate line shift.

Lists

Editions

Background

Also see

Notes