1602 - Gilbert, Adrian - To Robert Cecil
|Title||Letter from Gilbert Adrian to Sir Robert Cecil|
|Mentions||Many speak of Robin Hood that never shot in his bow [proverb]|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2013-08-01. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-07-28.
[...] I have heard you speak well in the Parliament, and I hope you can judge of reason also; but if I may advise you (as many fools do, and talk of Robin Hood that never shot in his bow) then draw breath at such fellows as we be, and believe but one-half of our great miracles: and yet I fear you will be a loser too, for miracles appertain to gods and not to fools. [...]
MS ref.: "95. 1 & 2."
The sender of this letter, Adrian Gilbert (c.1541-1628), was an MP and constable of Sherborne Castle (?1599-1603). The recipient, Robert Cecil, 1st Earl of Salisbury (1563?-1612) was Lord High Treasurer May 1598-24 May 1612, Lord Privy Seal 1598-1612, Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster 8 October 1597-1599, and Secretary of State 5 July 1590-24 May 1612. The allusions has not been noted in previous lists or studies.
- Not included in Dobson, R.B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 389-90.
- Not included in Sussex, Lucy, compil. 'References to Robin Hood up to 1600', in: Knight, Stephen. Robin Hood: A Complete Study of the English Outlaw (Oxford, UK; Cambridge, Massachusetts: Blackwell, 1994), pp. 262-88.
- Roberts, R.A., ed. Calendar of the Manuscripts of the Most Hon. the Marquis of Salisbury, &c., &c., &c., Preserved at Hatfield House, Hertfordshire. Part XII (Historical Manuscripts Commission) (Hereford, 1910), p. 317.
- Many speak of Robin Hood that never shot in his bow
- 1593 - Atkinson, Anthony - To Robert Cecil
- 1596 - Fenton, Geoffrey - To Robert Cecil (1)
- 1596 - Fenton, Geoffrey - To Robert Cecil (2)
- 1597 - Cecil, Robert - To Thomas Burgh
- 1597 - Fenton, Geoffrey - To Robert Cecil (1)
- 1597 - Fenton, Geoffrey - To Robert Cecil (2)
- 1597 - Norreys, John - To Robert Cecil
- 1600 - Cecil, Robert - To George Carew
- 1600 - Carew, George - To Robert Cecil (1)
- 1600 - Carew, George - To Robert Cecil (2).