1597 - Cecil, Robert - To Thomas Burgh
|Date||26 May 1597|
|Title||Letter from Sir Robert Cecil to Sir Thomas Burgh|
|Mentions||A base Robin Hood [Feagh M'Hugh]|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2013-08-01. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-07-28.
[...] The restraint on the making of knights. "Her Majesty is much troubled with the late knights that were made, and surely not well contented that the head of such a base Robin Hood [Feagh M'Hugh] is brought so solemnly into England. It is no such trophy of a notorious victory, and yet of it his friends make here great advantage; but if it be true that his son be still out, his youth will better his father's age." — The Court at Greenwich, 1597, May 26.
MS ref.: Vol. CXCIX. Brackets as in printed source. The cited text is a calendar summary or paraphrase of the original.
The writer of the letter, Robert Cecil, 1st Earl of Salisbury (1563?-1612) was Lord High Treasurer May 1598-24 May 1612, Lord Privy Seal 1598-1612, Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster 8 October 1597-1599, and Secretary of State 5 July 1590-24 May 1612. His letter is addressed to Lord Burgh: Lord Deputy of Ireland, Thomas Burgh, 3rd Baron Burgh (c.1558-1597), 7th Baron Strabolgi. The allusion has not been noted in previous lists or studies.
- Not included in Dobson, R.B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 315-19.
- Not included in Sussex, Lucy, compil. 'References to Robin Hood up to 1600', in: Knight, Stephen. Robin Hood: A Complete Study of the English Outlaw (Oxford, UK; Cambridge, Massachusetts: Blackwell, 1994), pp. 262-88.
- Atkinson, Ernest George, ed. Calendar of the State Papers, relating to Ireland, of the Reign of Elizabeth, 1596, July — 1597, December (London, 1893), p. 300.
- Robin Hood – a rebel
- 1593 - Atkinson, Anthony - To Robert Cecil
- 1596 - Fenton, Geoffrey - To Robert Cecil (1)
- 1596 - Fenton, Geoffrey - To Robert Cecil (2)
- 1596 - Fenton, Geoffrey - To William Cecil
- 1597 - Burgh, Thomas - To Privy Council of England
- 1597 - Norreys, John - To Robert Cecil
- 1597 - Fenton, Geoffrey - To Robert Cecil (1)
- 1597 - Fenton, Geoffrey - To Robert Cecil (2)
- 1600 - Carew, George - To Robert Cecil (1)
- 1600 - Cecil, Robert - To George Carew
- 1600 - Carew, George - To Robert Cecil (2)
- 1602 - Gilbert, Adrian - To Robert Cecil.