1597 - Burgh, Thomas - To Privy Council of England
|Date||31 May 1597|
|Title||Letter from Sir Thomas Burgh and Privy Council of Ireland to Privy Council of England|
|Mentions||Traitors of Feagh M'Hugh faction dangerous if left as Robin Hoods|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2013-08-01. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-07-28.
[...] A remnant of traitors of the Feagh M'Hugh faction still on foot in Low Leinster. They are capital persons, and men of action, who being left as Robin Hoods, may be dangerous disturbers of the whole state of Leinster, especially to kindle a new fire upon the borders. It is thought expedient to prosecute these men, and that the Earl of Ormonde have the charge committed to him. His good services, which deserve acknowledgment from the Privy Council, as they have been done at his own expense, without entertainment from Her Majesty. [...]
MS ref.: Vol. CXCIX, No. 66. Marginal note: "May 31. Dublin." The cited text is a calendar summary or paraphrase of the original.
Sir Thomas Burgh was Lord Deputy of Ireland, 3rd Baron Burgh (c.1558-1597) and 7th Baron Strabolgi. The allusion has not been noted in previous lists or studies.
- Not included in Dobson, R.B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 315-19.
- Not included in Sussex, Lucy, compil. 'References to Robin Hood up to 1600', in: Knight, Stephen. Robin Hood: A Complete Study of the English Outlaw (Oxford, UK; Cambridge, Massachusetts: Blackwell, 1994), pp. 262-88.
- Atkinson, Ernest George, ed. Calendar of the State Papers, relating to Ireland, of the Reign of Elizabeth, 1596, July — 1597, December (London, 1893), p. 302.
- Robin Hood – a rebel
- 1593 - Atkinson, Anthony - To Robert Cecil
- 1596 - Fenton, Geoffrey - To Robert Cecil (1)
- 1596 - Fenton, Geoffrey - To Robert Cecil (2)
- 1596 - Fenton, Geoffrey - To William Cecil
- 1597 - Cecil, Robert - To Thomas Burgh
- 1597 - Norreys, John - To Robert Cecil
- 1597 - Fenton, Geoffrey - To Robert Cecil (1)
- 1597 - Fenton, Geoffrey - To Robert Cecil (2)
- 1598 - Privy Council of Ireland - To Privy Council of England.