1596 - Fenton, Geoffrey - To Robert Cecil (1)
|Date||14 Feb. 1596|
|Title||Letter from Sir Geoffrey Fenton to Sir Robert Cecil|
|Mentions||Florence M'Carthy will be a dangerous Robin Hood in Munster|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2013-08-01. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2019-02-21.
The Earl of Clancarty being dead, and Florence M'Carthy, by marrying his heir general, having an apparent pretence to the earldom, fears some alteration will grow in those parts by the said. [IRHB: sic] Florence, who is more Spanish than English. Has received advice from Munster that he "begins already to stir coals," and considers some special letter should be sent to the Vice-President of that Province to lay hold of Florence M'Carthy, or to see him assured upon good pledges. Without one of these two preventions, looks that he will be a dangerous Robin Hood in Munster. — Dublin, 1596, February 14.
MS ref.: Vol. CXCVII, No. 90. The cited text is a calendar summary or paraphrase of the original.
The writer of the letter, Sir Geoffrey Fenton (c.1539-1608) was an English Author, Privy Councillor, and Principal Secretary of State in Ireland. Its recipient, Robert Cecil, 1st Earl of Salisbury (1563?-1612) was Lord High Treasurer May 1598-24 May 1612, Lord Privy Seal 1598-1612, Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster 8 October 1597-1599, and Secretary of State 5 July 1590-24 May 1612. The allusion has not been noted in previous lists or studies.
- Not included in Dobson, R.B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-11.
- Not included in Sussex, Lucy, compil. 'References to Robin Hood up to 1600', in: Knight, Stephen. Robin Hood: A Complete Study of the English Outlaw (Oxford, UK; Cambridge, Massachusetts: Blackwell, 1994), pp. 262-88.
- Atkinson, Ernest George, ed. Calendar of the State Papers, relating to Ireland, of the Reign of Elizabeth, 1596, July — 1597, December (London, 1893), p. 232.
- Historical persons
- Robin Hood – a rebel
- 1593 - Atkinson, Anthony - To Robert Cecil
- 1596 - Fenton, Geoffrey - To Robert Cecil (2)
- 1596 - Fenton, Geoffrey - To William Cecil
- 1597 - Cecil, Robert - To Thomas Burgh
- 1597 - Norreys, John - To Robert Cecil
- 1597 - Fenton, Geoffrey - To Robert Cecil (1)
- 1597 - Fenton, Geoffrey - To Robert Cecil (2)
- 1600 - Carew, George - To Robert Cecil (1)
- 1600 - Cecil, Robert - To George Carew
- 1600 - Carew, George - To Robert Cecil (2)
- 1602 - Gilbert, Adrian - To Robert Cecil.