1353 - John Robhood of Walsham le Willows
|Topic||John Robhood of Walsham le Willows (Suffolk)|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2013-09-30. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-07-28.
[9 Oct. 1353:]
John Fraunceys in mercy because he was summoned for winter work and did not
come;4 Robert Payn amerced 2d., William Swift \condoned because thresher/,
Adam Pidelak 2d., Olivia of Cranmer*. Simon White \condoned because
thresher/, John Margery 3d., John at the Meadow*, William Lene  3d., John
Noble \condoned/, Walter Rampolye 2d., Robert Rampolye  the elder 2d.,
Joan Smith 3d., Thomas Noble 1d., John Pach 2d., John Shucford 2d., William
Elys 3d., Agnes Clevehog \condoned/, Richard Qualm*, Robert Rampolye *,
John Patel *, John Terwald*, John Robhood 1d., Robert Kembald*, Adam
Echeman 3d., William Cook  the elder 1d., Matthew Gilbert*, Nicholas Fuller
3d., Robert Lene  3d., Edmund Lene 2d., Alice Pye*, William Warde*,
William Jay 3d., Robert Warde 1d. for the same.
The John Robhood concerned in this entry is the first of that name known from the court rolls. One of his sons was also named John. "\" and "/" indicate MS insertions. Lock's brackets. Lock's note 4: "Against John's name, and others, is inserted 'condoned because the greater part completed'; the names of the others similarly endorsed are indicated by an asterisk."
The Robhoods of Walsham le Willows (Suffolk) occur frequently in the manor court rolls throughout the period covered (1316-99). For full discussion, genealogy and listings of records, see Robhoods of Walsham le Willows (record texts).
- Not included in Sussex, Lucy, compil. 'References to Robin Hood up to 1600', in: Knight, Stephen. Robin Hood: A Complete Study of the English Outlaw (Oxford, UK; Cambridge, Massachusetts: Blackwell, 1994), pp. 262-88.
- Lock, Ray, ed.; Bailey, Mark, general ed. The Court Rolls of Walsham le Willows 135-1400 (Suffolk Records Society, vol. XLV) (Woodbridge, Suffolk, 2002), p. 41, and see p. 222, s.n. 'Robhood, John ' and 'Robhood, John '.
- Lock, Ray, ed.; Bailey, Mark, general ed. The Court Rolls of Walsham le Willows 135-1400 (Suffolk Records Society, vol. XLV) (Woodbridge, Suffolk, 2002), p. 41. Record translation by Lock.
- Lock (2002), p. 222, s.n. 'Robhood, John ' and 'Robhood, John '.
- Lock (2002), p. 21 & n. 4.