1344 - Robhodway (Walsham le Willows) (1)
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2016-12-10. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-10-18.
[12 Apr. 1344:]
Thomas Fuller amerced 3d. for an encroachment at Staple way, digging on the common there, 4p. long and 4ft. wide, ordered etc., pledge the Hayward; and 3d. for making a pit on the common, digging clay at Robhodway; ordered. Walter Fuller amerced 3d. for the same. Roger the Prior of Ixworth did the same, ordered etc.
This and another 1344 entry in the court rolls are the only known records of this place-name. Presumably the road was named after the local Robhod family.
- Not included in Sussex, Lucy, compil. 'References to Robin Hood up to 1600', in: Knight, Stephen. Robin Hood: A Complete Study of the English Outlaw (Oxford, UK; Cambridge, Massachusetts: Blackwell, 1994), pp. 262-88.
- Lock, Ray, ed.; Bailey, Mark, general ed. The Court Rolls of Walsham le Willows 1303-1350 (Suffolk Records Society, vol. XLI) (Woodbridge, Suffolk, 1998), p. 269.
- 1344 - Robhodway (Walsham le Willows) (2)
- Robhoods of Walsham le Willows (links)
- Robhodway (Walsham le Willows).