Little John Birch (Bagot's Wood)
|Vicinity||N. end of Bagot's wood; 20 m or less E. of the B5013; 4.45 km SSW of Uttoxeter|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2016-09-25. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-01-06.
Located at the north end of Bagot's Wood, 4.55 km SSW of Uttoxeter, Little John's Birch was presumably a birch tree. It is unclear whether this tree was named after Robin Hood's next-in-command. About 300 m ESE of Little John Birch was found Big John Birch. The 1823 record is the earliest notice of this tree I have found, and it mentions it only indirectly in that it refers to Little John Birch Coppice, in which, presumably, the tree stood. A Google search on 25 Sep. 2016 yielded no relevant results except a PDF of the printed source of the record cited below. While the coppice as such is not included on any of the 6" O.S. maps of the area online at NLS, the maps, published 1884 to c. 1849, all include Little John Birch itself as well as Big John Birch.
1823 - Little John Birch Coppice in Bagot's Wood
A particular of Woods and Plantations belonging to the Right Honorable William Lord Bagot, in the Parishes Abbot's Bromley and Hanbury, lying together and surrounding Bagot's Park, exclusive of Woods and Lands planted within the ancient boundary of the Park, and also of detached Plantations in the said Parishes. [...] Big John Birch [...] Little John Birch Coppice [...]
- Not included in Dobson, R. B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
- [Bagot, William]. Memorials of the Bagot Family (Blithfield, 1824), pp. xxix, xxxi.
- 6" O.S. map Staffordshire XXXII.SW (1884; surveyed 1881-82)
- 6" O.S. map Staffordshire XXXII.SW (1901; rev. 1899-1900)
- 6" O.S. map Derbyshire LII (1924; rev. 1920)
- 6" O.S. map Derbyshire LII (c. 1949; rev. 1938)
- Bagot's Wood place-name cluster
- Bramshall place-name cluster
- Places named after Little John
- 1823 - Little John Birch Coppice in Bagot's Wood
- Places named Robin Hood's Tree.