Robin Hood signpost (Bassenthwaite)
|Vicinity||At intersection of the Rake and the road to Uldale; c. 1.5 km N of Bassenthwaite|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2020-07-14. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-01-07. Photo courtesy Jan Pedersen and Jill Boyes.
A signpost at the intersection of a road named 'The Rake' and the road to Uldale, c. 1.5 km N of Bassenthwaite, points to the hamlet of Robin Hood (Bassenthwaite), located c. 1.5 km to the south and c. 2 km NE of Bassenthwaite.
As early as 1866, OS maps of the area include the label 'Guide post' at this intersection, though on the SE corner and not on the N side of the Road to Uldale, opposite the Rake. Since the hamlet of Robin Hood (Bassenthwaite) was already in existence, the signpost likely also read 'Robin Hood' back then.
- Not included in Dobson, R. B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
- 25" O.S. map Cumberland XLVI.12 (c. 1866; surveyed 1863)
- 25" O.S. map Cumberland XLVI.12 (1900; rev. 1898) (georeferenced)
- 25" O.S. map Cumberland XLVI.12 (1900; rev. 1898)
- 25" O.S. map Cumberland XLVI.12 (1925; rev. 1923)
- 6" O.S. map Cumberland XLVI (1867; surveyed 1864–65)
- 6" O.S. map Cumberland XLVI.SE (1900; rev. 1898) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Cumberland XLVI.SE (1900; rev. 1898)
- 6" O.S. map Cumberland XLVI.SE (1926; rev. 1923).
Click any image to display it in the lightbox, where you can navigate between images by clicking in the right or left side of the current image.