Robin Hood Wire Works

From International Robin Hood Bibliography
Coordinate 53.702222, -1.774528
Adm. div. West Riding of Yorkshire
Vicinity Wakefield Road (Clifton Road)
Type Establishment
Interest Robin Hood name
Status Defunct
First Record 1823
Loading map...
Robin Hood Mill

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2014-10-17. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-01-06.

Robin Hood Mill seems to have been established at Clifton Road or Wakefield Road by 1823.[1] It was probably located on land that later came to be sandwiched in between Clifton Road and Wakefield Road, and hence either road could be cited as its address. From 1840 to 1907 if not later, the tenant was Ramsden, Camm & Company, manufacturers of telegraph wire, cables etc.[2] Apparently the precincts were named Robin Hood Wire Works during their tenancy.[3]


MS sources

The following papers among the "Muniments of Kirklees and the Armytage Family", at West Yorkshire Archive Service, Calderdale, refer to the Robin Hood Mill:

  • Rentals, KM/A/980 (1823-42): "For Robin Hood Mill".
  • Plan, KM/A/1384 (1870): ""Of Robin Hood and Little John Mill at Clifton".
  • Tenancy agreement, plan and other papers, KM/A/1038 (1894-1916): ""Concerning Robin Hood Mill, Clifton".
  • Plan, KM/A/1385 (19th century): "Of Robin Hood and Little John Mill, Clifton"
  • Correspondence, KM/A/1045 (1907): "Concerning rent for a water pipe at Robin Hood Mill belonging to Ramsden Camm and Co".


Brief mention

Also see