Robin Hood Barn (Winnersh)
|Vicinity||Bluebell Meadow, Winnersh|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-05-28. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-02-13.
Robin Hood Barn on Bluebell Meadow in Winnersh is a barn turned into a house. Apparently the barn stood somewhere else but was moved or taken down and rebuilt here at some point in the first third of the 20th century. It presumably owes its name, at least in part, to the circumstance that the neighbourhood to which it was relocated has several roads named after the outlaw, but of course the name also refers to the proverbial expression "To go round by Robin Hood's barn".
In 1978, when Robin Hood Barn was put on the market, the estate agent described it as a "fine old period barn removed to present site[,] converted to form delightful Tudor style residence", with a "[w]ealth of exposed timbering" and "4/5 principal bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 3 attic bedrooms, 4 reception rooms, cloakroom, kitchen, etc. Oil-fired central heating. Range of outbuildings, granary. Delightful easily maintained gardens with woodland[.] 2.7 acres. main electricity and water.
Robin Hood Barn is included on a few O.S. maps from 1933 on (see Maps section below). A Google search (as of 28 May 2018) does not indicate that the name is in current use, but of course the name of a private residence may well, as it were, fly under the radar.
- Not included in Dobson, R. B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
- 25" O.S. map Berkshire XXXVIII.6 (c. 1875; surveyed 1871). No copy in NLS
- 25" O.S. map Berkshire XXXVIII.6 (1899; rev. 1898)
- 25" O.S. map Berkshire XXXVIII.6 (1899; rev. 1898) (georeferenced)
- 25" O.S. map Berkshire XXXVIII.6 (1912; rev. 1910)
- 25" O.S. map Berkshire XXXVIII.6 (1933; rev. 1932)
- 6" O.S. map Berkshire XXXVIII (1883; surveyed 1871-72)
- 6" O.S. map Berkshire XXXVIII.NW (1900; rev. 1898)
- 6" O.S. map Berkshire XXXVIII.NW (1900; rev. 1898) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Berkshire XXXVIII.NW (1913; rev. 1910)
- 6" O.S. map Berkshire XXXVIII.NW (c. 1934; rev. 1932)
- 6" O.S. map Berkshire XXXVIII.NW (c. 1944; rev. 1938).
- ↑ Duncan Vincent. '[Untitled advert]', Country life (1978-04-13), Supplement, p. 26. Italic and bold type as in source. IRHB's brackets.
Click any image to display it in the lightbox, where you can navigate between images by clicking in the right or left side of the current image.