Robin Hood (Millbank, Westminster)

From International Robin Hood Bibliography
Coordinate Near 51.49668, -0.125574
Adm. div. Middlesex, now Greater London
Vicinity 9 Millbank Street (Millbank)
Type Public house
Interest Robin Hood name
Status Defunct
First Record 1790
A.k.a. Robin-hood and Little John; Robinhood and Little John; Robinhood
Loading map...
Millbank where the Robin Hood was located.
Millbank / Google Earth Street View.

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2020-05-03. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2022-05-05.

The Robin Hood in 'Millbank Street', St John, Westminster, existed as early as 1790[1] and is last recorded in 1843.

The Pub Wiki provides information on publicans and variant forms of the name of the pub for the period 1798-1843. According to Lockie (1810), Millbank Street was 'the continuation of Abingdon-st. from Old Palace-yard by the Abbey, it extends to the Horseferry-road', the 'Old Palace-yard' being 'the open space on the S. side of Westminster-hall by the Abbey'.[2] This tallies quite well with the nomenclature of the earlier of the maps listed below. They apply the name 'Millbank Street' to the stretch from Great College Street to Horseferry Road, what is now named Millbank.

Insurance records show that the proprietor was John Conroy in 1790, William Jones in 1792 and Henry Kerslake in 1798.[3]





Also see