Plumpton Park (Stow) (2)
|Vicinity||In Stow; c. 125 m S of the church|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2023-05-18. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2023-05-18.
In the Gest, King Edward is exasperated at noticing the scarcity of deer in Plumpton Park after Robin and his men have been poaching there during their stay with the knight. We should almost certainly take this to be in Lancashire, but it could just possibly be some place King Edward is meant to have visited after his progress in Lancashire. As Lincolnshire is a neighbouring county it is conceivable, though not likely, that a Plumpton Park in that county may have been intended.
Two plots of land in Stow (c. 12 km NW of Lincoln), were known as Plumpton Park in 1839. The southernmost of these, the topic of this entry, was situated c. 125 m S of St Mary's Church, west of Sturton Road, in the wooded area west of the gardens, east of the field. The 1839 tithe award for the parish of 'Stowe' lists George Archer Bellwood as landowner and Thomas Page as occupier. 'Plumpton Parke' is listed under 'Name and description of lands and premises', state of cultivation was arable, and the area was 19 acres, 2 roods and 5 perches (79040.16 m2).
- Not included in Dobson, R. B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
- Tithe award for the parish of Stowe (1839) (Piece 20, Sub-Piece 315, Image 028, #28 – at The Genealogist) (£)
- Tithe map for the parish of Stowe (1839) (Piece 20, Sub-Piece 315, Sub-Image 001, #28 – at The Genealogist) (£).
- 25" O.S. map Lincolnshire LI.11 (1886; surveyed 1885)
- 25" O.S. map Lincolnshire LI.11 (1906; rev. 1905) (georeferenced)
- 25" O.S. map Lincolnshire LI.11 (1906; rev. 1905)
- 6" O.S. map Lincolnshire LI.SE (1885; surveyed 1885)
- 6" O.S. map Lincolnshire LI.SE (1907; rev. 1904–1905) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Lincolnshire LI.SE (1907; rev. 1904–05)
- 6" O.S. map Lincolnshire LI.SE (c. 1931; rev. 1904–05)
- 6" O.S. map Lincolnshire LI.SE (c. 1950; rev. 1947).