Little John (Tibshelf)

From International Robin Hood Bibliography
Coordinate 53.127542, -1.361254
Adm. div. Derbyshire
Vicinity Near Tibshelf
Type Area
Interest Robin Hood name
Status Defunct?
First Record 1844
Loading map...
The little field named Little John.
Little John / Google Earth.

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2016-08-10. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2022-04-22.

According to an 1844 tithe award, a field in the township of Tibshelf was named Little John. The name is also found on a second tithe award schedule that was drawn up in 1926. In 1844 the field was owned by the Governors of the Hospital of St Thomas, its occupier being a John Tagg. It was characterized as a grass area, measuring 2 acres and 9 perches (8321.35 m2).[1] The field is somewhat smaller than the others in the immediate vicinity. Perhaps it was this circumstance that suggested the name.

IRHB does not know if the field still answers to the name of 'Little John'.


MS sources

Printed sources


Also see


  1. Cameron, Kenneth. The Place-Names of Derbyshire (English Place-Name Society, vols. XXVII-XXIX) (Cambridge, 1959), pt. II, p. 315. Cameron dates the tithe award 1846, but the first tithe award schedule has the date 1844, the map being dated 1846. See Genealogist: piece 8, sub-piece 210, Image 038 (first schedule); Genealogist: piece 8, sub-piece 210, Sub-Image 001; Genealogist: piece 8, sub-piece 210, Image 080 (second schedule).