Little John (Hampsfield)

From International Robin Hood Bibliography
Coordinate 54.215447, -2.923753
Adm. div. Lancashire
Vicinity Immediately E of Heaning Wood; Hampsfield Allotment, c. 1.3 km SE of Field Broughton
Type Natural feature
Interest Robin Hood name
Status Defunct
First Record 1851
Loading map...
Robin Hood and Little John, Hampsfield
Robin Hood and Little John, Hampsfield / Karl and Ali, 1 Mar. 2015, Creative Commons, via Geograph.

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2019-02-15. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-01-07.

Two boulders immediately east of Heaning Wood, on Hampsfield Allotment, c. 1.3 km SE of Field Broughton, were formerly known as 'Robin Hood and Little John'. See further Robin Hood (Hampsfield).


1872 - Stockdale, James - Annales Carmoelenses

 On the brow of the allotment above Haening Wood two large stones, of the mountain limestone in situ, stand out prominently on the surface. These have from time immemorial gone by the names of Robin Hood and Little John. They are so given in the six-inch [p. 475:] scale ordnance map. No reasons for these names are known, but the stones may have been local marks for the shepherds in the old times when the district was unenclosed.[1]




Also see