From International Robin Hood Bibliography
|Vicinity||8 km ESE of Chippenham|
|Events||Richard Som was Robin Hood.|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2013-08-07. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-01-07.
Recd xxxviijs iiijd of Richd Som: beyng Robyn Whode anno xxiiij
"In all probability the proceeds of a collection made by 'Robin Hood' on May Day." The amount xxxviijs iiijd (38s. 4d.) equals £1.92.
This reference seems to have been overlooked by previous writers on pre-Restoration drama and the Robin Hood tradition.
In preceding and subsequent years there were church ales, king ales and choosing of a king and prince, the last church ale being in 1603. The forthcoming REED volume on Wiltshire, being edited by Rosalind Hays, will very likely reveal new facts about Robin Hood festivals at this locality.
Lists and gazetteers
- Not included in Lancashire, Ian, compil. Dramatic Texts and Records of Britain: a Chronological Topography to 1558 (Cambridge, 1984).
- Not included in Wiles, David. The Early Plays of Robin Hood (Cambridge, 1981), Appendix I.
- Marsh, A.E.W.; Brakspear, Harold; Goddard, E.H., introd. A History of the Borough and Town of Calne (Calne and London, ), p. 369.
- ↑ Marsh, A.E.W.; Brakspear, Harold; Goddard, E.H., introd. A History of the Borough and Town of Calne (Calne and London, ), p. 369.
- ↑ Marsh et al. op. cit., p. 369 n. 4.
- ↑ Marsh et al. op. cit., pp. 368-73.