1869 - Proceedings of the Old Bailey (2)
|Topic||Counterfeit coin tendered as payment at Robin Hood on High Holborn|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-06-16. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2022-05-05.
[22 Nov. 1869:]
ELLEN KNIGHT. I am barmaid at the Robin Hood, Holborn—Mr. Arnold is the landlord—the prisoner came there with a woman, in the middle of October, about 10 a.m., for two glasses of porter, and gave me a half-crown—I gave him 2s. 4d. change, and put the half-crown in the till, where there was no other—the landlord spoke to me ten minutes afterwards—I looked at the half-crown, and it was counterfeit—no other half-crown had been put into the till.
Prisoner. Q. How came you to take it? A. I did not observe it much, as it was a very foggy morning—a policeman spoke to me about it, it might be a fortnight afterwards—the policeman did not describe you to me—no bad money has been offered me since you have been here.
JAMES ARNOLD. I am landlord of the Robin Hood—I went to my till on this morning, and found a bad half-crown, two sixpences, and a shilling—I gave the half-crown to the constable.
IRHB has silently regularized the use of spaces before punctuation marks in the quotation and corrected the HTML text at Proceedings of the Old Bailey from the PDF of the original printed edition.
There were (at least) three public houses named the Robin Hood in Holborn: one in Leather Lane, one in the now lost Robin Hood Court, and that at 281 High Holborn. In this case the mention of Mr Arnold as the landlord leaves no doubt that the pub in question is the Robin Hood at 281 High Holborn. He was publican there from at least as early as 1859, but no earlier than 1855, and until 1875.
- Not included in Sussex, Lucy, compil. 'References to Robin Hood up to 1600', in: Knight, Stephen. Robin Hood: A Complete Study of the English Outlaw (Oxford, UK; Cambridge, Massachusetts: Blackwell, 1994), pp. 262-88.
- 1757 - Proceedings of the Old Bailey
- 1786 - Proceedings of the Old Bailey (2)
- 1819 - Proceedings of the Old Bailey (2)
- 1849 - Proceedings of the Old Bailey (3)
- 1849 - Proceedings of the Old Bailey (4)
- 1859 - Proceedings of the Old Bailey (2)
- 1873 - Proceedings of the Old Bailey (2)
- 1877 - Proceedings of the Old Bailey (2)
- 1879 - Proceedings of the Old Bailey (1)
- Robin Hood (High Holborn).