1835 - Proceedings of the Old Bailey (4)
|Topic||Robin Hood and Little John (Hoxton)|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-07-19. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-01-08.
[26 Oct. 1835:]
ALLEN CAMERON. I am a policeman. On sunday the 4th of October, between two and three o'clock in the morning, I was on duty near Hoxton — I passed by the Robin Hood and Little John, and saw a person answering the description of Chantry, going towards the New North-road — he came out of Constable-alley — and soon after Bond came — I am quite certain of him — a very few seconds passed between the first and second man passing me — Bond had a bundle with him — I asked him what he had got there — he said a goose — I asked him how he came possessed of it — it was loose on his shoulder — in his hand, naked — not covered with any thing — I asked him who that chap was that had passed before him — he said he did not know — I asked how his father became possessed of the goose — he said he did not know, but he believed he had bought it — I asked him how he came possessed of the bundle — he said his father gave it him to take home — I asked him what it contained — he said a coat, waistcoat, and a pair of trousers — I asked him how his father became possessed of it, or whether his father bought it — he could not tell — I asked if he remembered seeing his father wear any of the clothes — he said he did not recollect — I said I was not satisfied with his statement, and took him into custody — I took possession of the bundle, which contains the same things as it did then.
IRHB has silently regularized the use of spaces before punctuation marks in the quotation and corrected the HTML text at Proceedings of the Old Bailey from the PDF of the original printed edition.
- Not included in Sussex, Lucy, compil. 'References to Robin Hood up to 1600', in: Knight, Stephen. Robin Hood: A Complete Study of the English Outlaw (Oxford, UK; Cambridge, Massachusetts: Blackwell, 1994), pp. 262-88.
- 1823 - Proceedings of the Old Bailey
- 1826 - Proceedings of the Old Bailey (1)
- 1828 - Proceedings of the Old Bailey (1)
- 1829 - Proceedings of the Old Bailey (1)
- 1830 - Proceedings of the Old Bailey (1)
- 1833 - Proceedings of the Old Bailey (1)
- 1857 - Proceedings of the Old Bailey (2)
- 1883 - Proceedings of the Old Bailey
- 1891 - Proceedings of the Old Bailey (1)
- Robin Hood and Little John (Hoxton).