1831 - Proceedings of the Old Bailey (3)
|Topic||Intoxicated couple scuffle with watchman and have counterfeit coin|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-06-17. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-01-08.
[30 Nov. 1831:]
PASCHO FAIRCHILD. I am a watchman of St. Andrew's. On the 8th of June, about half-past nine o'clock at night, I saw the prisoners together in Shoe-lane; the man had a child in his arms - they were both so intoxicated as not to be able to take care of it; I asked the man to deliver it to me, and I would take him to the watch-house, to protect him and the child, which he objected to, at first, but at last gave the child into my arms; a number of people collected - a woman took the child from me, to take care of it; the man resisted - I took him by the collar, and he dropped a half-crown and a shilling, which I produce; he was very near the Robin Hood - the female prisoner was about half-a-dozen paces from him; they were apart when he dropped the money - I am sure it dropped from him; he put his foot on the half-crown, but could not reach the shilling - I did not know it was bad, and wished to put it into my pocket to take care of for him, but he resisted my taking it up; I got assistance - Rentmore took charge of the woman; I saw some coin taken from the woman, but did not count it.
IRHB has silently regularized the use of spaces before punctuation marks in the quotation and corrected the HTML text at Proceedings of the Old Bailey from the PDF of the original printed edition.
- Not included in Sussex, Lucy, compil. 'References to Robin Hood up to 1600', in: Knight, Stephen. Robin Hood: A Complete Study of the English Outlaw (Oxford, UK; Cambridge, Massachusetts: Blackwell, 1994), pp. 262-88.
- 1692 - Proceedings of the Old Bailey (1)
- 1813 - Proceedings of the Old Bailey (1)
- 1832 - Proceedings of the Old Bailey (3)
- 1834 - Proceedings of the Old Bailey (1)
- 1834 - Proceedings of the Old Bailey (3)
- 1838 - Proceedings of the Old Bailey (3)
- 1838 - Proceedings of the Old Bailey (6)
- 1875 - Proceedings of the Old Bailey (1)
- Robin Hood (Holborn).