1546 - Heywood, John - Dialogue (1)
|Title||Dialogue conteinyng the Nomber in Effect of all the Prouerbes in the Englishe Tongue|
|Mentions||Many speak of Robin Hood that never shot in his bow [proverb]|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2013-07-17. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-01-07.
Bachelers boast, how they will teach their wives good;
But many a man speaketh of Robin Hood,
That never shot in his bow. When all is sought,
Bachelers wives, and maides children be well tought.
Italics as in printed source.
- Not included in Dobson, R. B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-11.
- Sussex, Lucy, compil. 'References to Robin Hood up to 1600', in: Knight, Stephen. Robin Hood: A Complete Study of the English Outlaw (Oxford, UK; Cambridge, Massachusetts: Blackwell, 1994), pp. 262-88, see p. 274.
- Heywood, John. A dialogue conteinyng the nomber in effect of all the prouerbes in the englishe tongue, compacte in a matter concernyng two maner of mariages (London, ). Not seen.
- Heywood, John. A dialogue conteining the nomber in effeet of all the prouerbs in the Englishe tounge, compact in a matter concernynge two maner of mariages (London, 1556). Not seen.
- Heywood, John. A dialogue, co[n]teyninge the number in effecte of all the prouerbes in the Englishe tunge, co[m]pact in a matter (London, 1561). Not seen.
- Heywood, John. Iohn Heywoodes woorkes (London, 1562). Not seen.
- Heywood, John. Iohn Heywoodes woorkes (London, 1566). Not seen.
- Heywood, John; Sharman, Julian, ed. The Proverbs of John Heywood. Being the "Proverbes of that Author printed 1546 (London, 1874); see p. 130.
- Heywood, John. Iohn Heywoodes vvoorkes (London, ). Not seen.
- Heywood, John; Farmer, John S, ed. A Dialogue of the Effectual Proverbs in the English Tongue concerning Marriage (London, 1906), pp. 74-75, and see p. 191 (modernized spelling).
- Heywood, John; Farmer, John S., ed. The Proverbs, Epigrams, and Miscellanies of John Heywood (Early English Dramatists) (London, 1906), pp. 74-75 (modernized spelling).